RESEARCH OFFICER SOUGHT - BIOPROCESS ENGINEERING
CeBER is an inter-disciplinary research centre, based in the Department of Chemical Engineering at UCT. It has a well recognised research portfolio in Biohydrometallurgy, Bioprocess Engineering, Alkane and Algal Biotechnology with a focus on sustainable processes through a circular economy and industrial ecology focus. At this time when South Africa has recognised the bio-economy as a focal point for development, CeBER is looking for a candidate with outstanding ability and research potential to appoint from January 2017. The appointee to this position will be involved in research centered on both new product and new process development using microbial and enzyme technology. Emphasis will be on the process engineering aspects, including modelling of unit operations and process flowsheets, techno-economic analysis, transport phenomena and maximizing process sustainability. Prior experience in multi-phase systems as well as mineral bioprocessing and alkane biotechnology will be an advantage. Excellent ability in process modelling is essential. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to research projects within the CeBER project grouping and work closely with the team.
The applicant must meet the following requirements:
- PhD degree in chemical engineering
- Two years appropriate post PhD experience is required for the Research Officer position
- Substantial expertise in modelling of bioprocess systems, conceptually and in code at both the unit operation and process flowsheet levels
- Demonstrable strength in engineering design using Aspen
- An excellent understanding of multi-phase systems
Key competencies include:
- the ability to work as a member of an inter-disciplinary team
- good interaction and supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students, and
- strength in technical writing and grant writing.
The annual remuneration, including benefits is R558 915
To apply, please e-mail the following documents in a single pdf file to Ms Melanie Falken at email@example.com:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Letter of Motivation
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
REFERENCE NUMBER: E16175
CLOSING DATE: 13th December 2016
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at www.uct.ac.za/downloads/uct.ac.za/about/policies/eepolicy.pdf.
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.